I’ve had a blogging break. Not intentionally but life has been so busy as usual! I’m feeling slightly inspired this morning so here I am. This Saturday just gone I turned 36 years old, happy birthday to meee! The past few years I use to dread being another year older. I’m so over that now… a quote I read had a really profound effect on me…
I am fortunate enough not to have lost anyone my age that I’m close to. But I know of people I went to school with, friends of friends my age who didn’t make it to the age I am now. Sure when I take a selfie I might try a million angels so the light hits right and round my eyes look better! But who doesn’t?! It is an absolute privilege to grow older and we should never forget that. Cliche it may sound but every day is a gift and you never know what tomorrow may bring. I am grateful for every one of my thirty six years. My life has been the winding road that it’s meant to be… lessons have been learned but memories have been made.
I feel like it’s only in the last two years I have really become comfortable with being me. I was far too worried about what others think and afraid of looking bad. Whilst this does still bother me occasionally I’m so glad most the time I’m confident enough stay true to myself. This is my life and I realise I must do what’s right for me… I value others opinion but I’m the one holding the pen to my story. You will never keep everyone happy. So here’s 36 things I’ve learned in my 36 years so far…
1. One of the best things that can happen to you in life is to have a happy childhood
2. If you know what you want to do when you leave school then you are lucky, I’m still doing now what I did at seventeen and I love it just as much now as I did then
3. Do something you love and you will never work a day in your life… so true… when the thing that you do to get money doesn’t feel like work you are living your best life
4. Child birth was the most excruciating pain ever and maybe you will forget but I certainly haven’t
5. Being a parent is the hardest job you will ever do. It’s basically giving up the life you know for a completely new one
6. There is no love quite like being somebody’s mummy
7. You will discover your parents were always right even though you probably still won’t admit it to them
8. Don’t strive for perfection in everything you do, it’s just an illusion. Striving for perfection will leave you in a constant state of frustration
9. Travel will make your soul soar, money spent on holidays is never money wasted
10. A few good genuine friends are better than many. As you grow older you will learn which ones are in it for the long haul with you. Cherish them
11. Not everyone has the same heart as you but don’t let that change yours
12. Know what you need and be unapologetic about caring for yourself. Self care is not selfish it’s necessary to your wellbeing
13. Gratitude is the way forward. Wake up every day thankful for all the amazing things in your life. Remember there’s always something to be thankful for
14. Forgiveness is a super power. Forgive others not because they deserve it but because you deserve peace. This is one of the most valuable lessons I’ve learned
15. Learn the art of growing without loosing your inner child… some of my favourite days now are still spent colouring, going to the zoo, building sandcastles or playing on swings
16. Never ignore the feeling in your gut… trust your vibes… energy doesn’t lie. I have learnt to listen to my intuition more as I have got older
17. What you say about other people says more about you than it does about them. Be kind with your words, never gossip
18. Protect your energy… surround yourself with positive people who lift you higher
19. It’s never too late to start over in any area of life. Don’t let anyone tell you you can’t do something. Yes you can! You can do anything you put your mind to!
20. It’s free to dream but dreams only come into reality with hard work. When you look at people who seemingly have it all, respect the hustle they went through to get there
21. Your reality really is a projection of your thoughts. Keep them good, positive and inspiring.
22. Good manners will take you far in life
23. Always Smile… smile when you wake up, smile to yourself, smile at strangers – better to be the one who smiled than the one who didn’t smile back. Smiling makes your eyes sparkle…
24. Having love in your life is everything… family, friends, relationships. Without love… there is nothing
25. Look after your body… it’s the only place you have to live. Nourish it with good food but don’t deny yourself treats. Keep it moving… remember your only as young as your spine is flexible
26. Read… the more you read the more things you will know. A good book is a wonderful way of escapism
27. You can never take too many photos! Snapshots of moments gone by will make you smile in your future, even when you ‘weren’t looking your best that day’
28. Practice mindfulness, savour the moment you are in. We live in a fast paced world… remember to pause and smell the sea air, the cut grass, savour the taste of the food you eat, hug someone a little longer
29. You get what you pay for. Quality over quantity every time
30. You can’t change other people… you can only change your reactions to them. Walk away from people and situations that no longer serve you
31. Keep an open mind… it takes all kinds of people to make a world and what a wonderful thing that is
32. Never make a promise you can’t keep
33. Disappointments are part of life but never loose hope… keep pushing forward
34. Mistakes are our greatest teachers. Don’t linger in regret about them, acknowledge them and move on
35. Not everybody will like you or understand you and that’s okay… they are not your people
36. Happiness is an inside job. It’s letting go of what you think your life should look like and embracing every moment. Always strive to find joy in the day to day.
So that’s it! Cheers to me and my 36 years… let’s see what lessons my next 36 will bring me – I hope I’m blessed enough to see them.
Rachael 🙂 x